2 hrs 30 mins
The beauty of this recipe is that you can add or subtract ingredients, depending on your vegetable preferences, or whatever you have on hand. Once you have built the basic stock with the beef, celery, onion, tomatoes and soup base, you can adjust to your preferences. Feel free to add whatever you think might work. It's a hearty soup that makes a great main dish on a cold night, especially nice when served with a side salad and hot crusty bread. Best made a day ahead for best flavor.
My Private Note
cup, ap ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2-1 lb stewing beef, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons beef base (not bouillon)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 7 medium potatoes (or more)
- 3 -4 carrots, sliced
- Worcestershire sauce, as needed
- celery salt, as needed
- 1 (16 ounce) can mixed vegetables or 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1In large kettle, (medium stock pot) about half full of water, add beef, celery, onion, tomatoes (with juice) and beef soup base. Bring to a slow boil. Add potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks), carrots, a dash of Worcestershire, a dash of celery salt, and any other flavoring you like.
- 2Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender. Add enough water to bring up near top of kettle.
- 3Add other vegetables; bring to a boil, then simmer for a couple hours with lid off and stirring occasionally. (1 cup of corn is a nice addition to this.) Soup thickens as it cooks down, and even thicker the next day after refrigeration.
- 4Salt maybe be added as needed. Recommend making a day ahead as flavor is best if allowed to sit in refrigerator overnight and reheated the next day, either on stove or in crock pot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Variable Beef Vegetable Soup/Stew
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.2
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.1 mg
- Sodium 183.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 12.4 g