Prep 50 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Thursday magazine, this was submitted by Rani Johny M.
- 1 kg fish
- 75 g baby onions
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 green chilies
- 3 -5 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups coconut, grated
- 5 pieces tamarind pulp (kadampuly)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Wash tamarind and soak in water.
- Make it into small pcs.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp.
- of oil in a pan.
- Fry the grated coconut.
- Before it turns brown, add the corriander powder, pepper powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Make a fine paste of the above fried ingredients.
- In another pan heat the 1/2 tbsp.
- of oil.
- Saute half of the baby onions, ginger and green chillies in it.
- Add the fine paste.
- Also add water containing the tamarind pieces, the fish pieces and little salt.
- Add water upto the level of the mixture in the pan.
- In a pan, heat the mustard seeds in oil.
- Once they splutter, add them to the gravy.
- Add a few curry leaves and half the fried onion.
- Cook till you get a thick gravy and the oil floats on top of the gravy.
- Serve hot.