Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 mins
I found this on the internet; the recipe is supposed to be from the Little House Cookbook. I want to try it sometime, and don't want to lose it again. I will be substituting trans-fat free shortening for the lard, though!
- Use large fryer to produce depth of 3", heat lard to 350* F.
- In bowl beat egg & salt for a full minute.
- Beat in 1/4 cup flour, a tablespoon at a time, until batter is too stiff for beating but too soft to roll out.
- Cover a dinner plate with flour.
- With a teaspoon, spoon batter onto plate in 6 separate portions. With knife turn each over to flour, then drop into hot fat. Aim for limp but compact dough mass that will not string out when it leaves the knife.
- Cook each cake for at least 3 1/2 minutes, during which time it may need help in turning. If it darkens too quickly, fat is too hot.
- Drain cakes on paper & dust with sugar.