Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
My mom has made this for over 30 years. It is always delicious and a family favorite!
- 6 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups water, scalding
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Work in butter until mixture looks like crumbs for pie dough.
- Mix in scalding water.
- Stir in 3 cups flour.
- Turn onto a foured surface and knead in 1 cup flour.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk (1 1/2 hours).
- While dough rises, prepare filling.
- Remove any sausage casings.
- Crumble and brown sausage in a skillet.
- Drain and cool cooked sausage.
- When cool, stir in egg and cheese, set aside.
- Punch down dough.
- Divde dough into two portions.
- Roll one portion into an 18x12 inch rectangle.
- Spread 1/2 of the sausage filling onto dough, up to 1/2-inch from the edges.
- Starting on long edge, roll up rectangle jellyroll fashion.
- Seal center seam and ends.
- Place roll seam down on a baking sheet.
- Repeat process with the remaining dough and filling.
- Let rise 1/2 hour.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 375°F.
WONDERFUL!!! I can see why it is a family favorite. I brought this to a church pot-luck and it was the first item to disappear. My husband later asked me why I brought something so good, instead of keeping it at home. I have an idea to try the same thing, with breakfast sausage and without the mozzerealla-but serve with milk gravy on top of it. Wonderful well written directions! Thanks to you and to your mom for sharing this amazing recipe. This will become a regular for us.