Recipe by Member #610488
Traditionally served with Dampfnudln or Steamed Sweet Dumplings along side Kirschsosse. Works over any kind of doughy dessert. Recipe from my grandmother's recipe box.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together into top of a double boiler the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add 2 cups boiling water stirring well. Stirring gently and consistently, bring mixture rapidly to boiling over direct heat and cook for 3 minute
- Place top portion over simmering water in bottom half. Cover and cook for 12 min, stirring three or four times.
- Slightly beat the egg yolk then, while stirring vigorously, add 3 tbsp of the hot mixture to the yolk. Immediately blend into the double boiler mixture.
- Cook over simmering water 3 to 5 min, stirring slowly to keep mixture cooking evenly.
- Remove from heat and blend in butter, vanilla extract and nutmeg.
- Serve hot.