Recipe by Member #610488
Austrian cookie recipe from friends of my grandmother. Vanilla sugar and vanilla confectioners sugar is just sugar with the addition of one vanilla bean to the container. The longer the vanilla bean stays in the container with the sugar, the more vanilla flavor is absorbed by the sugar.
Top Review by realbirdlady
A simple cookie, with a bit of almond flavor. The sweet is all dusted on after baking, which to my taste left the cookie too floury. I think this could be good paired with another sugary syrupy dessert.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup very hard butter
- 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- confectioners' sugar, vanilla-flavored
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and cut in the butter. Add salt, nuts and vanilla sugar.
- Crumble and knead quickly to a smooth pastry. Roll pastry into long tube shape.
- Put into the refridgerator, wrapped in waxed paper or aluminum foil, to rest for 20 minutes or longer.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350°F Cut roll into slices one-half width of thumbnail and then across each slice to create half moon shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden brown. Sprinkle with vanilla-flavored confectioners sugar while still hot.