Recipe by Housewife Hopeful
From KMG in Dallas
Top Review by Elmotoo
This gets 5 stars for flavor but 3 stars for the way the recipe is written. I'm so glad I read this recipe early in the day. It says up top, "55 min/20 min prep" but neglects to mention the EIGHT hour yogurt drain or the 2 hour chill time. That said, it is an easy, light, refreshing, delightful recipe. We all loved it. I altered a step & put the pan with the heated milk in the fridge for 15 min. to cool instead of dirtying up a bunch of other dishes. It worked fine. The yogurt gives the mousse a nice tang - it's not too sweet which is nother reason I like it so well. Made for PAC Spring '08.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from 1 envelope)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla beans, halved lengthwise (adding as you are cooling the milk) or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (adding as you are cooling the milk)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 strip fresh lemon zest
- 1 (32 ounce) containerwell-stirred whole-milk yogurt (substitute 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt, not drained)
- 3⁄4 cup chilled heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain yogurt in a paper-towel-lined sieve set into a bowl in a refrigerator, discarding liquid occasionally for 8 hours. Then, transfer to a clean bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl and let stand 1 minute to soften.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean pod into remaining 3/4 cup milk in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, then add pod, sugar and zest and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set into a metal bowl, discarding solids. Next, set the bowl in a larger bowl half-filled with ice and cold water and let stand, stirring frequently until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Add milk mixture gradually to yogurt, whisking. Beat cream with an electric mixer at high speed until it just holds soft peaks. Then fold into yogurt mixture gently but thoroughly. Chill mouse, covered, folding twice in the first 20 minutes until set, which will take about 2 hours. Garnish with tangerine segments and serve with shortbread cookies.