Recipe by princess buttercup
I am submitting this as a recipe assuming you have made yogurt, have a yogurt maker or: there are several recipes here at 'Zaar describing "how to make" Yogurt. This makes a mild, smooth vanilla yogurt great plain, with fruit, cereals or grains. (time does not include chilling time)
Top Review by kuching
A simple, foolproof, delicious recipe. I often make it by substituting a tablespoonful of instant coffee for the vanilla. Minimum sweetener. You can use vanilla yogurt for a starter as well as plain. I find about 6 hours is long enough for "incubation."
- 4 cups milk (your choice whole-skim)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered dry milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar (Splenda or honey)
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt starter (unflavored plain yogurt with active cultures)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set 1/2 yogurt starter out to warm to room temperature.
- Heat the milk to almost a boil.(I like to microwave in a glass bowl for 5 minutes on high then 2 minutes on medium). Cool the milk (to a "barely warm"/ babies bath temperature) (cool water bath works well). Add dry milk, vanilla and sweetener of your choice; stir well.
- Stir in yogurt starter (do not whip but mix very well!).
- "Cook" the yogurt using your preferred method and time (longer makes a firmer, more tart yogurt. I like to cook about 12 hours). Chill 4 hours before eating.