Recipe by GinnyP
Maybe Mirjam doesn't know it, but she got me hooked on spiced nuts! :) This one is from 'Simply Classic-The Junior League of Seattle'.
Top Review by Mirj
The minute I saw these posted I had to try them, especially since I was really jetlagged and had to occupy myself with something constructive at 4 in the morning. I made these with a mix of walnuts, whole almonds and pecans. WOW (caps intended)!!! The mix of spicy and sweet is addictive. I'm going to make a batch just to chop them up and mix into vanilla ice cream, it should be mind-blowing! Ginny, I'm so glad I got you hooked on spiced nuts, just so you could find this one for me! A thousand thanks!
- 1 lb walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil.
- Blanch walnuts 1 minute.
- Drain well.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Blend corn oil with vanilla extract.
- Pour over hot nuts.
- Sprinkle in sugar and toss to mix well.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Arrange nuts on rimmed baking tray.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until nuts are light brown and crispy.
- Stir nuts a few times during baking.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- When nuts are done baking, transfer to a large bowl while still hot.
- Toss with seasoning mixture.
- Return to baking sheet and spread in a single layer to cool.
- Serve at room temperature.