Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Add a bit of character to plain vanilla pie crusts with some almonds... from Icebox Pies cookbook
- 40 vanilla wafer cookies (yield apprx. 1 1/4 cup crumbs)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Process cookies in food processor until finely ground.
- Combine crumbs, butter, salt, vanilla and almonds, stirring until crumbs are moistened.
- Press mixture evenly across 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake crust until crisp, about 7 minutes.
- Let cool completely before filling.
- Crust may also be wrapped tightly in plastic and frozen up to one month.
Excellent crust. The nuts add a lot of flavor.
I made this for a chocolate cream pie and it worked wonderfully. Next time, I will toast the almonds five minutes, then cool them before I add them to the crust mixture because I really like the flavor of toasted almonds. Any time you need a vanilla wafer cookie crust, I recommend this one because both the vanilla and the almonds make it special.