Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This recipe for vegetarian-friendly, alcoholic almond gelatin jigglers (think Jello Jigglers meets Jello shots) combines vanilla vodka, uses seaweed-derived gelatin called agar-agar (as opposed to nondescript gelatin, which is likely to be animal-derived), and reduces paper/plastic waste (no cups). The ratio of water to alcohol is 1:1, so these jigglers are quite alcoholic! For better taste/less alcohol, you might consider reducing the amount of alcohol to 1 1/2 cups and increasing either the amount of water or milk to 2 1/2 cups (I would increase the milk, for more body and color). Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste and preference. The agar-agar powder can be found at your local South East Asian market.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) packet agar-agar, powder
- 2 cups vanilla vodka
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Prepare gelatin molds: use shallow pan(s) or container(s) (non-stick metal, glass, aluminum, or plastic) or ready-made gelatin mold(s), applying it with non-stick cooking spray (recommended) or covering with it saran wrap (one whole piece covering bottom and edges of pan) for easy removal.
- In saucepan over medium to high heat, bring to boil water, sugar, and agar-agar powder, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, then add vanilla vodka, milk, and almond extract.
- Immediately pour mixture slowly into container(s). Refrigerate until set (about 2 hours).
- Finally, remove firm gelatin from refrigerator and container(s) and place onto clean, flat surface. Use cookie cutters to make jigglers or use knife to simply cut into cubes.