Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Vanilla Tapioca Pudding is the perfect sweet and creamy dessert to complete a meal. Big on taste, tapioca won't weigh you down.
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- Put the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator until well chilled, about 30 minutes. In a medium saucepan, cook the vanilla bean in the milk over moderate heat, stirring, until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar, tapioca and salt. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in 1 cup of the hot milk. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Pour the pudding into a medium heatproof bowl and let stand, stirring, until slightly cooled, about 10 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean, scraping the seeds from each half into the pudding; stir to incorporate. Rinse the vanilla bean and save for another use.
- Open the can of chilled coconut milk and, without stirring it, spoon off 1/2 cup of the thick cream that has risen to the top; save the remaining coconut milk for another use. Stir the coconut cream into the pudding until thoroughly incorporated. Spoon the pudding into six 1/2 cup ramekins, cups or glasses. Refrigerate overnight; if desired, cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.