Recipe by vrvrvr
From the Gray Whale Inn, Ft. Bragg, CA circa late 1980's. This is an extravagant coffee cake. Best for a crowd!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups softened butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter a Bundt pan.
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in large mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.
- Blend in sour cream and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and beat well.
- In separate medium bowl, combine brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon.
- Turn 1/3 of cake batter into buttered pan. (Blob it in and spread around evenly with a spatula.).
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of the nut mixture.
- Repeat. (1/3 batter, remaining 1/2 nut mix.).
- Add remaining 1/3 batter to pan and smooth to cover.
- Mix 2 T. vanilla and 2 T. warm water in small bowl and spoon over top of batter.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from pan.
- Texture will be moist.