Recipe by ObsessiveCompulsiveBaker
Despite its simplicity, this remains my family's ultimate favorite cake. Adapted from: http://www.creative-cake-decorating.com/sponge-cake-recipe.html
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Line pan (including the sides) with parchment paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder 3 times. Add in 1/4 tsp salt.
- Throw raisins into flour mixture and coat them well. (optional step).
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar and 1/8 tsp salt until stiff peaks are formed. Add in sugar and beat until stiff peaks form again.
- Combine egg yolks, oil, water, and vanilla extract. Beat mixture until foamy.
- Fold egg yolk mixture gently into egg whites. Add flour mixture and gently fold in until well-combined.
- Pour cake batter into springform pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. The cake is done when top springs back when lightly pressed.