Recipe by Just Happy
This is a slight modification of a vanilla sponge cake recipe from Martha Stewart. I have substituted unsalted butter and flour to dust with cooking spray. Recipe uses a round 6'' cake pan.
Top Review by Darkhunter
I was a little concerned when you mentioned butter, and it was no where to be found in the ingredient list or in the directions. But I went on faith, and sure enough, it came out fine. Well, except for sticking on the side a little. But the taste is great I cut mine in half and filled with red plum jelly. Yum..... Thnx for sharing your recipe, Fiona F. Made for Pac Fall 2009.
- cooking spray, for pan
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, seperated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 6'' round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Spray parchment with cooking spray. Sift flour and cornstarch together into a small bowl, set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, vanilla and 1/4 c sugar in the bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until pale and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Put egg whites and salt in a clean bowl. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, Gradually add 2 tbsp sugar, Beat until stiff peaks form and looks glossy.
- Fold egg white mixture into yolk mixture. Fold in flour mixture in 2 batches. Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.