Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a slight modification of a vanilla sponge cake recipe from Martha Stewart. I have substituted unsalted butter and flour to dust with cooking spray. Recipe uses a round 6'' cake pan.
- cooking spray, for pan
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, seperated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 6'' round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Spray parchment with cooking spray. Sift flour and cornstarch together into a small bowl, set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, vanilla and 1/4 c sugar in the bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until pale and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Put egg whites and salt in a clean bowl. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, Gradually add 2 tbsp sugar, Beat until stiff peaks form and looks glossy.
- Fold egg white mixture into yolk mixture. Fold in flour mixture in 2 batches. Transfer batter to the prepared pan. Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
I was a little concerned when you mentioned butter, and it was no where to be found in the ingredient list or in the directions. But I went on faith, and sure enough, it came out fine. Well, except for sticking on the side a little. But the taste is great I cut mine in half and filled with red plum jelly. Yum..... Thnx for sharing your recipe, Fiona F. Made for Pac Fall 2009.
Came out perfectly for my little petit fours. Wouldn't change a thing