Recipe by Kree
This is a great frozen treat, especially for people who can't tolerate dairy. It tastes like old-fashioned vanilla ice cream... really! Give it a try! Prep time includes time to chill.
Top Review by gracethalia
I've made this ice cream many times and really like it. After experimenting, I have settled on these changes: I use 1 cup white granulated sugar and I don't boil the soymilk. The ice cream comes out exactly the same as the original recipe, but it's easier and quicker (no 3-4 hour wait time).
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 egg yolks (or 1/2 cup egg beaters)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the eggs yolks, sugar, and corn starch into a bowl; whisk the mixture together.
- Heat the soy milk; slowly pour the hot soy milk into the mixture while continuing to beat.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Gently heat the mixture until it thickens.
- Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker; make ice cream following the instructions of the machine.
- Note: I'm not sure exactly how much ice cream this yields, but I made it in my 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker and there was room to spare!