Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve while hot, they taste the best with a little drizzle of hot chocolate sauce and powdered sugar.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- powdered sugar
- Butter bottom of a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons evenly over it.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/3 cup milk.
- Place over medium heat.
- Whisk in remaining milk, stirring until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, stir in 2 tablespoons butter, lightly beaten egg yolks and vanilla; set aside.
- Beat whites with cream of tartar until peaks form.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over whites.
- Fold together.
- Spoon batter into souffle dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle with sugar and serve.