1/2 Photos of Vanilla Souffle
Recipe by Todd English
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for dishes
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- 3/4 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- vanilla ice cream
- 1Butter and sugar eight 6-ounce soufflé dishes, including the rim of each dish.
- 2In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine milk and vanilla bean with scrapings.
- 3Bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- 4Cover, and let steep for 1 hour.
- 5Remove bean from milk, and reserve for another use.
- 6In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and salt.
- 7Add 1/2 cup steeped milk, whisking to combine and form a paste.
- 8Transfer paste to saucepan with milk, and cook over medium heat while whisking constantly until thickened and smooth, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- 9If the mixture begins to get lumpy, remove from heat, and whisk until smooth.
- 10Remove saucepan from heat.
- 11Prepare an ice-water bath: Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice.
- 12Add egg yolks and vanilla extract to milk mixture, and whisk to combine.
- 13Transfer soufflé base mixture to a shallow 1-quart container.
- 14Cover surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- 15Set saucepan in the ice-water bath to cool completely.
- 16Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 17Remove soufflé base from refrigerator, and bring to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- 18Preheat the oven to 375° with rack in center.
- 19In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip 5 egg whites on low speed with cream of tartar until foamy.
- 20Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar while slowly increasing the speed of the mixer until it is on high.
- 21Whip until egg whites are stiff and shiny.
- 22Gently fold egg whites into the soufflé base in three additions.
- 23Divide between prepared dishes, gently tap on each dish on the work surface, and place on a baking sheet.
- 24Transfer to oven, and bake until dark golden and the sides appear spongelike, 16 to 20 minutes.
- 25Remove from oven, and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- 26Serve immediately with vanilla bean ice cream.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Souffle
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.5
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 119.4 mg
- Sodium 139.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: