Recipe by Todd English
Make and share this Vanilla Souffle recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for dishes
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- 3⁄4 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- vanilla ice cream
- Butter and sugar eight 6-ounce soufflé dishes, including the rim of each dish.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine milk and vanilla bean with scrapings.
- Bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Cover, and let steep for 1 hour.
- Remove bean from milk, and reserve for another use.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and salt.
- Add 1/2 cup steeped milk, whisking to combine and form a paste.
- Transfer paste to saucepan with milk, and cook over medium heat while whisking constantly until thickened and smooth, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- If the mixture begins to get lumpy, remove from heat, and whisk until smooth.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Prepare an ice-water bath: Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract to milk mixture, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer soufflé base mixture to a shallow 1-quart container.
- Cover surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Set saucepan in the ice-water bath to cool completely.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove soufflé base from refrigerator, and bring to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375° with rack in center.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip 5 egg whites on low speed with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar while slowly increasing the speed of the mixer until it is on high.
- Whip until egg whites are stiff and shiny.
- Gently fold egg whites into the soufflé base in three additions.
- Divide between prepared dishes, gently tap on each dish on the work surface, and place on a baking sheet.
- Transfer to oven, and bake until dark golden and the sides appear spongelike, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve immediately with vanilla bean ice cream.