Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Thick custard between 2 sheets puff pastry covered with passionfruit icing.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup custard powder
- 1 liter milk
- 60 g butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon soft butter
- 2 tablespoons passion fruit pulp, strained
- 2 teaspoons water, approximately
- line 23cm square slab pan with foil, bring foil up to overlap sides of pan.
- Place pastry sheets on lightly greased oven trays and bake in hot oven about 6 minutes or until lightly browned, cool.
- Gently flatten pastry with hand, fit one pastry sheet into prepared pan.
- Combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder in pan, gradually stir in milk, stir until smooth.
- Add butter, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Simmer for 3 minutes or until very thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add essence and butter.
- Pour hot custard over pastry in pan and cover with remaining sheet, press down slightly.
- To make icing sift icing sugar into bowl stir in butter, passionfruitjuice and enough water to make a stiff paste.
- Spread icing over slice and cut into squares.