Recipe by Tisme
This is a recipe from way back, a different and easy way to make Vanilla Slice. When I was little, this was such a popular way ro make Vanilla Slice.
- 625 ml milk
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup cornflour
- 4 tablespoons custard powder
- extra milk (about 150ml)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg, beaten
- 18 SAO biscuits
- 2 cups icing sugar
- pulp of 1 passion fruit, strained of seeds
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir the milk, sugar and butter in saucepan over low heat, until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Remove milk mix from heat.
- Combine the cornflour and custard powder, add extra milk and stir until really smooth, with no lumps. Add this to the saucepan.
- Whisk over a low heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until well combined.
- Line a 23cm square tin with baking paper or foil. Place nine Sao biscuits in the base of the tin. Pour warm custard filling over the top and spread out until even.
- Place remaining biscuits over custard.
- Cover and chill slice overnight.
- When slice has chilled overnight, ice slice with passionfruit icing and place back slice to chill until icing is firm.
- Use a warm knife to cut slice into squares.
- For the passionfruit icing place the icing sugar into a bowl, add the passionfruit pulp and mix well. Add enough lemon juice to form stiff peaks.