Recipe by Perfect Pixie
In New Zealand, I would always love going to the bakery to buy a vanilla slice. Now that I have moved to England, we can't get them anymore. I found this recipe in a cookbook my Mummy had hidden away, and the memories came pouring back
Top Review by ROSINA _J
Perfect! Perfect! Perfect! If I could give more than 5 stars I would! this was delicious! The custard was gorgeously smoothe and not overly sweet, just perfect! Thanks for this wonderful recipe that will be made for years to come.
- 2 sheets premade puff pastry
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cornflour (I always use arrowroot because it is better for you)
- 1⁄2 cup cups custard powder
- 1 liter milk (4 cups)
- 60 g butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon soft butter
- 2 tablespoons passion fruit pulp, strained
- 2 teaspoons water, approximately
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 23cm square slab pan with foil, bring foil up to overlap sides of pan.
- Place pastry sheets on lightly greased oven trays.
- Bake in a hot oven about 6 minutes, or until well browned.
- Gently flatten pastry with hand.
- Fit 1 pastry sheet in prepared pan.
- Combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder in pan.
- Gradually stir in milk. Stir until smooth.
- Add butter and stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Simmer, stirring, about 3 minutes or until very thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in yolks and essence.
- Pour hot custard over pastry in pan.
- Top with remaining sheet of pastry, flat side up.
- Press down slightly.
- Spread pastry with passionfruit icing.
- Cut when set.
- FOR THE ICING:.
- Sift icing sugar into small heat-proof bowl.
- Stir in butter, passionfruit juice and enough water to make a stiff paste.
- Stir icing over hot water until spreadable.
- Recipe can be made a day ahead.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
- Do not freeze or microwave.