Perfect Pixie's Note:
In New Zealand, I would always love going to the bakery to buy a vanilla slice. Now that I have moved to England, we can't get them anymore. I found this recipe in a cookbook my Mummy had hidden away, and the memories came pouring back
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sheets premade puff pastry
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup cornflour (I always use arrowroot because it is better for you)
- 1/2 cup cups custard powder
- 1 liter milk (4 cups)
- 60 g butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1Line a 23cm square slab pan with foil, bring foil up to overlap sides of pan.
- 2Place pastry sheets on lightly greased oven trays.
- 3Bake in a hot oven about 6 minutes, or until well browned.
- 5Gently flatten pastry with hand.
- 6Fit 1 pastry sheet in prepared pan.
- 7Combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder in pan.
- 8Gradually stir in milk. Stir until smooth.
- 9Add butter and stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- 10Simmer, stirring, about 3 minutes or until very thick and smooth.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in yolks and essence.
- 12Pour hot custard over pastry in pan.
- 13Top with remaining sheet of pastry, flat side up.
- 14Press down slightly.
- 16Spread pastry with passionfruit icing.
- 17Cut when set.
- 18FOR THE ICING:.
- 19Sift icing sugar into small heat-proof bowl.
- 20Stir in butter, passionfruit juice and enough water to make a stiff paste.
- 21Stir icing over hot water until spreadable.
- 22Recipe can be made a day ahead.
- 23Store covered in refrigerator.
- 24Do not freeze or microwave.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Slice
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 750.7
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 76.8 mg
- Sodium 278.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 55.3 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: