Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
These heart-shaped sandwich cookies are sure to warm your Valentine's heart. Plan ahead because the dough has to chill at least two hours or overnight.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar, for decoration
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- In small bowl, combine flour and salt.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture just until blended.
- Shape dough into 2 disks; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Between 2 sheets of floured wax paper, roll 1 disk 1/8-inch thick.
- With floured 3-inch heart-shape cookie cutter, cut out cookies.
- Cut out centers of half cookies with floured 1 1/2 inch heart-shape cookie cutter.
- Slide cookies on wax paper to another large cookie sheet and refrigerate about 15 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove heart-shape centers from cookies; place cookies on prepared sheets, 1 inch apart.
- Bake 13-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden.
- Cool on parchment paper on wire racks.
- Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling scraps.
- Sift confectioners' sugar over cookies with cut-out centers.
- Spread 1 t jam on each plain cookie; top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches.