Great snack for everyone, or the for kids lunches or even as an after school treat! Serve for breakfast with yogurt and fruit or over ice cream for dessert. Watch your time in the oven because sometimes it cooks a little quickly. This recipe came from Bon Appetit, March of 2002. A few baking tips I have learned from making this recipe often: I use a jelly roll pan so the granola will have maximum exposure while cooking. Also, if you do like your granola to clump, do not stir while baking. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes or so, then run a spatula between granola and the pan to loosen. You will have so many clumps you will have to break them with your hands ; )
- Position rack to middle of oven and preheat to 300*.
- Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Mix next 5 ingredients in large bowl.
- combine oil, honey and sugar in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well.
- Using hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread granola on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionaly, about 30 minutes (but check after 20).
- Transfer sheet to rack; cool granola completely.
- (Can be made two weeks ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.) Makes about 8 cups.