Top Review by Jacqueline in KY
My mother use to make a sauce like this and put in cream puffs. She would also serve it hot with a plain yellow cake and top with a few strawberries. Thanks for the memories.
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk (500ml total)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- If using vanilla bean, scrape the vanilla seeds out of the bean and set aside.
- In a saucepan stir together cream, milk and vanilla seeds or extract and bring to a boil.
- You can use more or less vanilla extract, depending on personal preference.
- In a bowl whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
- Carefully and slowly stir the egg mixture into the cream.
- Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool.