This recipe came from the internet, and it is our favorite raisin bread. We especially love it as raisin toast for breakfast.
- 2⁄3 cup raisins, soaked in
- 3 tablespoons vanilla, for at least one hour (or microwaved - see below)
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (or plain milk soured with a tsp of white vinegar)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour or 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- Select basic or SWEET setting.
- Special Notes: The recipe calls for 2 tsp of yeast, but I find this way too much yeast- blows the top off the machine!
- This makes a 1 1/2 lb loaf which basically fills my 2 lb machine.
- DO use pure vanilla extract for best results.
- If you don't have the time to soak the raisins ahead of time (I never do) just microwave the raisins and vanilla for 1 minute on high or med-high in a micro-safe bowl.