Recipe by Jenny Rowan
This is my favorite raisin bread. I got the recipe from a bread machine recipe exchange years ago. It is not spiced, but it is a very rich tasting white bread with vanilla flavored plump raisins throughout. It's a high riser too, very soft and light! The prep time is only as long as it takes you to measure the ingredients. My machine's raisin cycle beeps after a little over 1 hour so I get everything started, then start soaking my raisins. They are always ready to go when the machine beeps.
Top Review by Dorel
I made yhe bread this morning using the 1 1/4 buttermilk. I used just the dough cycle on my machine. I have a 2 pound breadmaker but I find with a recipe using this much flour it rises so high and pushes the top off the machine. I punched down and put in a bread pan and baked at 350* for 35 minutes. It was good but I think next time I will add cinnamon for more flavor.
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄8-1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄8-1 1⁄4 cups sour milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure all ingredients except for the raisins and vanilla into your bread machine according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Set your bread machine to bake in the raisin mode.
- Light crust would work well with this bread.
- After starting the machine, place the raisins in a bowl or cup and add the vanilla extract.
- Soak raisins for 1 hour; drain.
- Add the raisins when your machine beeps or signals to add additional ingredients.
- Continue with the baking cycle.