Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I like this recipe because it doesn't include any butter and still has a delicious rich taste. It is also easy since it is made on top of the stove. I modified the instructions after the first review to make them more clear. It is important to stir the pudding the whole time it is cooking.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan.
- Combine milk and egg in a bowl.
- Gradually add milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Cook for one additional minute after bubbling starts, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm, or place plastic wrap on surface; cool to room temperature.
- Chill thoroughly.
This was so easy and turned out so well! I used unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk, so I didn't know if it would work but it turned out great! Nice and sweet too! I would probably only use half the sugar next time. Can't wait to make it again!
so easy! followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfect. used for banana pudding and it came out way better than when i made it with boxed pudding.<br/>*update* I made with fat free milk and it came out just as good.
I used fat free milk and it turned out pretty good. I'm sure it would be much better with some richer milk!