Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A typical everyday dessert in Germany. I never knew until I was an adult, that pudding was easy to make from scratch. I like to serve it with fresh seasonal fruit. This is a basic recipe, feel free to experiment with different flavors. - Preparation time is short, but you have to stir the pudding occasionally while cooling, so make it while you are occupied in the kitchen.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1⁄2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (seeds from 1 vanilla bean)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, well chilled
- Note: I measure the cornstarch out of its box without sifting, leveling the spoons on the side of the box. Lower amount of starch will make a creamy soft pudding, larger amount a firmer pudding.
- In a small pot whisk together egg yolk, 3 tbs of the milk, sugar and cornstarch (and vanilla seeds if using) until smooth. Best use a wire whisk to do so. Add rest of the milk, stir until smooth.
- Put egg milk over medium heat and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil once, remove from heat and let cool. Stir frequently while the pudding is cooling to avoid a skin forming.
- Whip cream until stiff.
- When the pudding is cold fold the whipped cream in with a rubber spatula. Fill in individual serving bowls, layer with fruit salad if you like or serve with a sauce. Will keep in the fridge for 12 hours or more.
- Note: Cooking time is cooling time.
L~O~V~E~D this recipe!!!!! used powdered sugar (all I had in the house) and a whole cup of whipping cream. The vanilla bean is a must. I will never eat pudding from a box again! A~W~E~S~O~M~E!!!
This dessert is delicious and easy to make. I needed vanilla pudding to make a dish that I saw on television. It was vanilla pudding, vanilla wafers and bananas layered in two tiers. It is delicious. This pudding was the perfect addition to the dessert. Enjoy it! It will become my favorite vanilla pudding.
This is quickly becoming a standard dessert in my home. I love the simple, balanced taste and texture.