Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this in my Pillsbury cookbook which is falling apart. Also see the chocolate variation that I posted.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, whole
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Boil one minute.
- In small bowl, blend about 1/3 of hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Return yolk mixture to hot mixture; blend well.
- Cook until mixture bubbles, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
This now my tried and reliable vanilla pudding. It is well-balanced and creamy textured. It goes together quickly and can be mixed with cooked tapioca pearls for a great tapioca pudding. Thanks for posting this better-than-box pudding.