Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes a sweet, saucy jam like mixture wonderful on top of oatmeal and muesli.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb prune
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- Place the prunes, water, juice and extract in a saucepan and scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the pod too.
- Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, or until the prunes are very soft and most of the water has evaporated and you are left with a lovely syrup.
- When cool, transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge.