Recipe by Catfish Charlie
Useful when a vanilla flavor is desired but liquid flavoring can not be used or is not desireable. The powder is off-white and has the consistency of confectioner's sugar, with small brown-black flecks of vanilla. Great for sprinkling on desserts, drinks, and much more or for making pre-mixed baking mixes for cookies, cakes, and so forth. Also great for homemade vanilla ice cream because it adds little vanilla specks.
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the vanilla bean into 1 to 2 inch segments.
- Put the pieces into a spice/coffee grinder and grind into small pieces, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and corn starch and blend for an additional 2 minutes until the sugar is a fine powder.
- Sift the powder through a fine screen to remove any pieces of vanilla bean which were not sufficiently milled.
- Store in an airtight container. The powder should be stored for at least 2 weeks before using.