This uses fresh pineapple. Use the sauce for topping low-fat pound cake or angel food cake, or ice cream. From Cooking Light. Cook time does not include chilling time. As suggested by Wicked cook, adjust the amount of water according to how much syrup you want. As per I'm Pat's suggestion, use the de-seeded vanilla bean to make vanilla sugar. See her review for instructions.
- Cut pineapple into quarters lengthwise; cut each quarter crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, and set aside.
- Scrap seeds from vanilla bean into a skillet; discard bean (or make vanilla sugar).
- Add water, sugar, and ginger root to skillet; stir. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add pineapple slices; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a bowl; cover and chill.