Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
this is a recipe by annabel langbein (hope i spelt her name right!!) it is so yum dusted with icing sugar or served warm with ice cream and you can use whatever fruit you like - i'm making it with peaches and nectarines for christmas day YUM It makes a huge amount - the size of a roasting dish or you can make it in muffin tins and reduce cooking time to 25 minutes. It also freezes really well which is good for when you feel like a quick easy desert - just thaw and heat in oven
- 12 plums (or equivelant of any other fruit)
- 300 g butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup yoghurt
- 3 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celcius.
- grease and line an oven roasting dish (or muffin tins).
- cream butter and sugar.
- add eggs one at a time.
- mix in zest and vanilla.
- gently stir in buttermilk/yoghurt and flour.
- DON'T OVER MIX.
- spoon into prepared dish and spread out.
- arrange fruit over the cake batter, cut side up (the fruit will sink a little but this is fine).
- if you are making muffins just put 1 or 2 pieces of fruit on top.
- bake 50 - 60 minutes (or 25 minutes for muffins).