Vanilla Pastry Cream (low Fat)
- Whisk in 1/4 cup of milk with cornstarch in a small nonstick pan until smooth. Whisk in remaining 3/4 cup of milk.
- Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the mixture then add the bean.
- Bring the mixture to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, egg yolk, and sugar. While beating constantly, add a little bit of the milk mixture to temper the egg mixture. Beating constantly, add the egg into milk mixture in pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute or until the mixture has thickened.
- Strain through fine sieve into a clean bowl. Sauce can be used warm or chilled.
- Sauce can be stored in air tight container in fridge for 2 days.