Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Gourmet September 2008. 1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin may be substituted for agar if you are unable to find the agar. Yield 4 servings Prep and cooking time do not include cooling time or maceration time.
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (preferably Tahitian)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons agar-agar flakes (preferably Eden Brand)
- 2 (3/4 lb) mangoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 (5- to 6-ounces) glasses or ramekins.
- Using a paring knife, scrape vanilla seeds from pod into a 1 1/2- to 2-quarts heavy saucepan, then add pod, milk, cream, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Bring to a boil. Whisk in agar and simmer, whisking, until completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Discard pod. Cool panna cotta slightly. Pour into glasses and chill until set, at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, peel mangoes and thinly slice.
- Bring water, juices, and remaining 3 tablespoon sugar to a simmer in cleaned saucepan, whisking until sugar has dissolved. Pour over mangoes in a bowl and macerate until ready to use. Serve panna cotta with mangoes.