Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This recipe is from our local supermarket, Wegmans' Menu Magazine, Winter 2012 Edition. It sounds heavenly. Someday when I have time, I'd love to try it. It is listed as one of their kid-approved recipes, but I think it would also appeal to those of us who are just "big kids at heart".
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled, cut on the bias into 1/4-inch slices (6 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, seeds reserved
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional in my opinion)
- sea salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, green part only, sliced thinly on the bias
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil in a braising pan over high heat. Add carrots, bay leaf, vanilla bean pod and seeds and cayenne (optional in my opinion). Salt to taste. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until carrots just beginj to soften.
- Add orange juice, vegetable stock and heavy cream. Cook, stirring, for 12-15 minutes until sauce is reduced to a syrupy consistency, and carrots are tender. Season to taste with salt.
- Turn off heat. Add butter, green onions and parsley. Stir until butter is melted. Remove vanilla bean pods and bay leaf.