Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my new love. I tried a matcha latte at Teaopia tea shop and fell in love with the detox & energy of this Japanese tea. I love that the caffeine in matcha releases slowly into the blood not like caffeine in coffee so you don't get jittery unless you drink a ton without eating anything else, then maybe. Modified from a recipe found on http://www.domatcha.com
- 709.77 ml water
- 236.59 ml blanched almond
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1.23 ml peppercorn
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- 0 inch fresh ginger, peeled slice
- 1.62 ml fennel seed
- 9.85 ml green tea powder (Must be matcha but F. didn't recognise, I use Matcha Superior from Teaopia)
- 7.39 ml alcohol free vanilla (I buy ours from the health food shop)
- 28.39 ml local raw honey, to taste
- Blend water and almonds until very smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Bring almond milk and spices to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes with the lid off, then simmer for 10 minutes covered.
- Strain into a blender (I use glass). Let the mixture cool down for a few minutes, then add the matcha powder & vanilla and blend. Add raw honey to taste. I probably use more than an 1/8 cup but do it to taste.
- Enjoy hot or cold. (I prefer it hot though).
I bought some match because that's what everyone is talking about, and this was my first recipe. LOVED IT! I admit to making a few shortcuts because that's what I had -- I used almond milk instead of making with the water and ground almonds. And I actually had to use some dried ginger sprinkles instead of fresh. But no matter, the end result was still fantastic. YUM!
YUMM! I cheated & used some of the almond milk in my fridge. Very tasty & comforting. I drank half warm & the rest is in the fridge chilling. Made for Veggie Swap 5/12.