Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice and Rich Ice Cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup malt drink powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- Heat milk and malt powder in a saucepan till the malt powder is dissolved and the mix simmers. Take off the heat.
- While waiting for the milk to simmer, beat egg yolks and sugar till satiny and batter-like.
- Pour the milk into the yolk and sugar mix and stir constantly. Return the entire mix to the saucepan over the lowest heat setting.
- Constantly whisk the mix and do NOT LET IT BOIL. Let it thicken till it can coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the entire mix into a large bowl and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in cream and vanilla extract. Cool and chill overnight.
- Process according to your ice cream maker.
This was an amazing treat. I opted to go for chocolate malt powder and I also added in some hot fudge. It came out AMAZING.
My whole family, especially my husband, loves this ice cream. I used 1/2 C splenda and 1/4 C granulated sugar and it tasted perfect!!!! I make this recipe 2x a week, sometimes adding brownie bits to it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.