Recipe by chef_matt85
I was going through a recipe collection some guy put together called vanilla vogue or something, and I was hoping for some creative uses for vanilla, and all it was was desert recipes. Feeling rather let-down, I just came up with this as my idea of what vanilla vogue should be. This a savory sauce, meant to be used as accompaniment to a nice steak, or a delicate scallop dish. If you serve it with a steak, beef up the spiciness, maybe with a small handful of black peppercorns or a small Thai chili.
- 2 medium beets, boiled and peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 1 bouquet garni (substitute cilantro for the parsley)
- 1 Thai chile
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lime
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan, saute the shallot till browned.
- Add the vanilla, bouquet, and chili, saute some more.
- Add the beets, cook till there's some color on the bottom of the pan, but don't burn it.
- Add the broth and lime juice, simmer for 5-10 minutes, 'till the beets are fully cooked.
- Remove the bouquet, place everything else in a blender or food mill, puree.
- Pass through a chinois or a fine mesh strainer.
- Season to taste.