Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Although I haven't made this yet I am planning on making this ice cream sundae soon. Prep time includes standing and freezing time. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (June 1987)
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise (7-inch)
- 6 egg yolks (or use egg substitute)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons raspberry juice (optional)
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves, plus
- 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon raspberry juice
- 3 cups raspberries
- 6 tablespoons almonds
- To make ice cream: Combine half-and-half and vanilla seeds (scraped from the vanilla beans) and pods in a saucepan over medium high heat cooking until milk scalds (10 minutes). Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove pods.
- Whisk yolks (or egg substitute) and sugar in a bowl.
- Reheat half-and-half.
- Whisk 2 cups of the half and half into egg/sugar mixture and return all to pan. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture thickens (3-5 minutes). DO NOT BOIL.
- Strain mixture into bowl. Cool one minute before stirring in raspberry juice.
- Cover and refrigerate ice cream until well chilled.
- Transfer to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions.
- Freeze in freezer overnight.
- To make hot fudge sauce: Melt chocolates (semisweet and unsweetened) with preserves and coffee powder in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally (5-10 minutes).
- Blend in 6 tablespoons cream and 1/4 cup raspberry juice and heat. (If necessary add more cream until desired consistency is reached. Sauce should be able to pour easily). Cool slightly before proceeding.
- Beat 1 cup cream with sugar and 1 tablespoon raspberry juice until soft peaks form.
- To serve: Spoon ice cream into individual glass bowls. Spoon sauce over. Top with raspberries, then whipped cream and sprinkle with almonds, if desired.
it's really good!!!
OH MY ---this is TO DIE FOR! A bit labor intensive but well worth it!