Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This vanilla sauce is a little different from the usual as it contains vanilla ice cream. Serve it over fresh fruit, bread pudding, banana fritters, pancakes, stewed fruit (for example, apples, pears), English Summer Pudding, steamed puddings, warm strudels, fruit pies or tarts, warm soufflés, warm cranberry cake, the list goes on. The recipe contains creme de cacao, but you can choose whatever liqueur is compatible with what you are serving, for example, Grand Marnier, brandy, Kahlua, tia maria, rum, amaretto (almond/apricot flavour), lemoncello, cranberry liqueur, Chambord (raspberry flavor dominates), and frangelico. If you prefer not to use alcohol, add a little vanilla extract or nutmeg to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature. Not suitable to freeze.
- 1 1⁄2 cups softened vanilla ice cream (375ml)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup dark Creme de Cacao (60ml) or 1⁄4 cup liqueur, of choice (60ml)
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream (430ml) or 1 3⁄4 cups thickened cream, whipped softly (430ml)
- Melt ice-cream gently in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Blend cornstarch and water together, and whisk into the melted ice cream, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, cool.
- Whisk in the liqueur and half the cream, then fold in the remaining cream.
- Can be re-warmed, gently, in the microwave.