Recipe by franzcooks
It occurred to me that vanilla ice cream is kind of like a defatted version of creme brulee. I took out half of the cream and substituted an equal amount of whole milk. I also took out the butter. I made up a batch and tested it out on my son. His eyes lit up like a light bulb. He prefers mine to any store bought ice cream. He's even helped me make it! I'm not sure it's cheaper, but who cares!
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3 vanilla beans (get these off Ebay)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large Stainless Steel or glass bowl.
- Place the bowl over a large 3 or 4 quart saucepan filled with simmering water.
- With the heat on low, whisk the mixture continuously until you can form ribbons. This is where you can lift the whisk out of the mixture, write your name and it doesn’t disappear for about 5 to 10 seconds. This can take as long as 30 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream and milk.
- Split and scrape the vanilla beans into the mixture. Put the vanilla beans in there too.
- Stir often with the whisk until the mixture can coat a spoon with only a slow drip. It will be about the consistency of vegetable oil.
- Remove the custard from the stove, strain it into a bowl and chill for at least two hours or over night.
- When chilled, remove the custard from the refrigerator and freeze following your ice cream machine’s direction.