I was making homemade frosting the other day and was surprised that it tasted just like vanilla ice cream. It's based on an Italian buttercream. It's good enough to eat without a cake.
My Private Note
two lay ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Begin whipping the egg whites with an electric stand mixer on high.
- 2While egg whites are whipping, mix sugar and water in a thick-bottomed pot and heat to 220F (104.4C) or the "Soft Ball" state.
- 3The boiling mixture should have large glassy bubbles.
- 4When egg whites are fluffy and close to stiff, slowly drizzle the sugar mixture into the mixer while the mixer is still on high.
- 5Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium or low and allow it to cool off.
- 6The sugar/egg white mixture must be cool before the next step! If need be, refrigerate until room temp or lower.
- 7Break the butter into approximately one half to one inch cubes.
- 8Turn mixer on high and add the vanilla and optional color. Then add the butter pieces one by one.
- 9If the mixture collapses, it means the mixture was too warm and you have to start over.
- 10Once all of the butter has been incorporated, you are done. Taste it, and it will remind you of vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vanilla Ice Cream Flavored Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (935 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3689.3
- Calories from Fat 2485
- Total Fat 276.1 g
- Saturated Fat 174.7 g
- Cholesterol 731.4 mg
- Sodium 2128.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 302.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 302.2 g
- Protein 13.6 g