Recipe by -d
I was making homemade frosting the other day and was surprised that it tasted just like vanilla ice cream. It's based on an Italian buttercream. It's good enough to eat without a cake.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 12 ounces salted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 drops food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin whipping the egg whites with an electric stand mixer on high.
- While egg whites are whipping, mix sugar and water in a thick-bottomed pot and heat to 220F (104.4C) or the "Soft Ball" state.
- The boiling mixture should have large glassy bubbles.
- When egg whites are fluffy and close to stiff, slowly drizzle the sugar mixture into the mixer while the mixer is still on high.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium or low and allow it to cool off.
- The sugar/egg white mixture must be cool before the next step! If need be, refrigerate until room temp or lower.
- Break the butter into approximately one half to one inch cubes.
- Turn mixer on high and add the vanilla and optional color. Then add the butter pieces one by one.
- If the mixture collapses, it means the mixture was too warm and you have to start over.
- Once all of the butter has been incorporated, you are done. Taste it, and it will remind you of vanilla ice cream.