Recipe by Dee514
A basic "custard style" vanilla ice cream. Premium quality vanilla extract should be used for best flavor. Prep times do not include cooling/freezing times.
Top Review by Canadagoose
Perfect amount of sweetness - this will now be my standard vanilla ice cream recipe - even Haagen Dazs doesn't compare. Of course you can substitute other sweeteners such as honey or maple syrup for the sugar, but whatever you do, you must cook on the stove, never microwave or it will curdle.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (not imitation!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs very well with a mixer, gradually add sugar beat until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir in milk and heat, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool mixture.
- Add cream and vanilla, cover and chill mixture.
- Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufactures directions.