Recipe by Bobby Bothmann
This is a Philadelphia style ice cream recipe that my mother has used for many years, and it's always been a favorite. Try it as vanilla or use it as a base for other flavors.
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald the milk and add the sugar and salt, stirring until it is dissolved.
- Add the cream and vanilla.
- Cool and turn into the ice cream maker freezer.
- Refrigerate over night, then turn it in the ice cream maker.
- If you want chocolate add 3 tablespoons of cocoa, or more. Or melt a bar of German baker's chocolate into the scalded milk. For chocolate chip, add about 1 2/3 cups of chopped chocolate chips when the ice cream is getting mushy (else they are all at the bottom of the freezer).