Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Seasoned with white wine and vanilla
Make and share this Vanilla Green Beans Almondine recipe from Food.com.
- 16 ounces frozen green beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook green beans as directed on package, do not overcook. Drain. Meanwhile when beans are cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan; stir in the wine, vanilla, onion powder, salt and the pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Toss the butter sauce with the green beans. Top with the toasted almonds.
- To toast the almonds, spread the almonds in a single layer on a piece of aluminum foil. Bake 350' for 3-5 minutes.
I agree that 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla would be too strong in this recipe. I cut the amount of vanilla in half and it
gave the freshly steamed green beans a lovely, delicate flavor. Shallots replaced onion powder and a small garlic clove minced was also added. Dry vermouth subbed for wine which I was out of but I think gin would work well, too. Heated up the olive oil, threw in the dressing ingredients minus the extract, cooked on medium heat for about 1 minute then stirred in the vanilla extract. We really enjoyed this with an omelet and crusty French bread.
This was really good, however, my family thought it was too "sweet-tasting" because of the vanilla. I'll probably make it without the vanilla next time. Thanks.