Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Made with applesauce instead of oil, this easy, healthy snack is quick to make and enjoy : ) High in protein and good, complex carbs.
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat to 300.
- Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix applesauce and sugar in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla.
- carefully our hot liquid over oat mixture and stir well.
- With hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread granola on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes IMPORTANT-check after 20 min!
- Transfer sheet to rack and allow granola to cool completely.
I made this for my husband, Cam, who eats granola on a regular basis and he really liked it. Great recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2010
GReAt RECIPE. I've added honey, sometimes substitute cinannom applesauce, and more brown sugar. I havent used the Splenda sugar yet but its just as tasty using regular ole brown sugar. It lasts my family of 4 about 2 weeks at time. It is my go-to recipe.
This is a very delicious granola. It's great that it has no fillers or preservatives and is quick to whip up. I would like it a bit sweeter, but dieting, it's best as written. I did add 1 cup of cranberries at the end as suggested by CoffeeB. To serve, I blended some frozen fruit with low-fat yogurt and enjoyed a delicious parfait for a snack. The rest is in a Ziploc bag to further enjoy for days to come. Thanks for a keeper recipe. :)